Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hank Snow


Boston, Charleston, Dayton, Louisiana 
Washington, Houston, Kingston, Texarkana
Monterey, Ferriday, Santa Fe, Tallapoosa 
Glen Rock, Black Rock, Little Rock, Oskaloosa
Tennessee, Hennessey, Chicopee, Spirit Lake
Grand Lake, Devil's Lake, Crater Lake, for Pete's sake
I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere
From his 1962 hit single, "I've Been Everywhere," which originally listed Australian place-names.  

Hank Snow, who was born in Nova Scotia in 1914, died on this date in 1999.  "I've Been Everywhere" was one of his seven #1 hits.  I've watched this video several times and I still don't believe it.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Gary! I remember that Snow sang this, now that you reminded me. My parents became Johnny Cash fans when I was a kid and I remember hearing his version every time that album was played (a few hundred times, I'd guess). I don't believe Johnny could squeeze those "everywheres" in quite as fast as Hank could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fun of the song is the speed with which the singer rips through the litany of places. And on that count, Snow definitely has Cash beat. But Johnny's voice is so much richer. And don't we have to deduct points from Snow for one of the all-time worst toupees? Here's a link to the Cash version:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmFN9C9PVpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Toupee? Ya think?)

    One of the cheap hotel chains had a TV ad a few years ago that used this song -- I think it was Cash's version.

    ReplyDelete