Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fred Murray and R. P. Weston


I'm Henry the eighth I am
Henry the eighth I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before
And every one was a Henry 
She wouldn't have a Willie or a Sam
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am

This song, which was written in 1910, was the signature song of British music-hall legend, Harry Champion.  (Click here to hear Champion's version of the song.)  When Herman's Hermits released it as a single in 1965, it shot to #1 on the Billboard "Hot 100" chart.

Although I've spelled "Henry" in the usual way in the lyrics quoted above, the song is performed in an exaggerated Cockney accent with that name pronounced as if it contained three syllables -- "Henery."

Herman's Hermits lead singer, Peter Noone, was born on this date in 1947.  Noone is still touring, and I understand he puts on a great live show.



No comments:

Post a Comment