Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ellie Greenwich


When I was a little girl I had a rag doll 
The only doll I’ve ever owned 
Now I love you just the way I loved that rag doll 
But only now my love has grown . . .
Do I love you?  My, oh my! 
River deep, mountain high

From "River Deep, Mountain High," which she, her husband Jeff Barry, and legendary producer Phil Spector co-wrote for Ike  and Tina Turner.

Ike and Tina's 1966 recording of the song -- it featured 21 session musicians and 21 backup singers, but not Ike -- was a big hit in England, but flopped in the U.S.  Go figure.  

Ellie Greenwich was born on this date in 1940.  She was almost 22 when she married Jeff Barry, and together they wrote many memorable pop songs, including "Be My Baby," "Baby, I Love You," "Then He Kissed Me," "Da Doo Ron Ron," "Hanky Panky," "Do Wah Diddy Diddy," "Chapel of Love," "The Leader of the Pack," and "I Can Hear Music."  

Here's Tina Turner performing "River Deep, Mountain High" in 1973.  If there's ever been a woman sexier than Tina, I'd like to meet her.  (On second thought, I had a heart attack last year -- so scratch that idea.)



No comments:

Post a Comment