Friday, September 2, 2011

Notorious B.I.G.


There's gonna be a lot of slow singin', and flower bringin'
If my burglar alarm starts ringin'
Whatcha think all the guns is for?
All purpose war, got the Rottweilers by the door . . .
Touch my cheddar, feel my Beretta

From "Warning," one of the singles from his 1994 debut album, Ready to Die

Christopher Wallace -- a/k/a "Biggie Smalls" and "The Notorious B.I.G." -- was 26 years old when he was killed in a drive-by shooting after attending the annual "Soul Train" Music Awards in Los Angeles.  His murder, which occurred only six months after the murder of Tupac Shakur, was never solved.

Biggie is widely considered to be one of the five greatest rappers of all time -- many would say he is numero uno.  No had better or more effortless-sounding flow, and he had a talent for piling up the maximum number of rhymes in the minimum amount of time.  (FYI, "cheddar" = "cheese" = "$$$.")

September is a very special month because it has five "Rap Fridays" -- not just four, like most months.  Each of those five September "Rap Fridays" will feature the words of the Notorious B.I.G.



No comments:

Post a Comment