Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jay-Z



It gets dangerous, 
Money and power is changing us
And now we're lethal
Infected with D'Evils . . .
My soul is possessed by D'Evils 
In the form of diamonds and Lexuses . . .
I can't be held accountable, 
D'Evils beating me down, boo
Got me runnin' with guys, makin' G's, 
Tellin' lies that sound true
Come test me, I never cower
For the love of money, son, 
I'm givin' lead showers
Stop screamin', 
You know the demon said it's best to die
And even if Jehovah witness, 
Bet he'll never testify, D'Evils . . .
From his debut album, Reasonable Doubt, which was released on this date in 1996.  The title of this song, "D'Evils," is spelled like "devils" but is pronounced "de evils" (like "the evils") when he sings it -- but it's really the same thing, isn't it?   I know that it's not "Rap Friday," but Jay-Z is too good to limit to one day of the week.  Our next couple of posts will sample his recently published autobiography, Decoded -- a much more interesting and intelligent book that I was expecting.



No comments:

Post a Comment