Saturday, April 16, 2011

George Harrison


Let me tell you how it will be,
There’s one for you, nineteen for me,
‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I don’t take it all.
‘Cause I’m the Taxman,
Yeah, I’m the Taxman.
From "Taxman," which was the opening track on the Beatles' Revolver album.  George Harrison wrote the song after realizing that the Beatles' earnings placed them in a 95% marginal tax bracket -- meaning that the "one for you, nineteen for me" line was literally correct.

I thought income taxes were due yesterday -- April 15 -- but because it was a holiday in the District of Columbia yesterday ("Emancipation Day"), the deadline this year in the next business day, which is April 18.  (Although Emancipation Day was officially yesterday, it is being observed today.  Go figure.)



No comments:

Post a Comment